Thursday, July 16, 2015

Medicine Lake Renegade Bassers 6/21/15

I was pretty excited to fish Medicine lake again this year with RB looking for some redemption from last year's disastrous Greenhorn tournament.  It was on father's day and I can't think of a better way to spend it than fishing a tournament.  Plus it's close to my house and my family was coming to the weigh in so I needed to bring in some big ones to show off. 
We also got our new jerseys today as well and they look pretty sweet. 

Practice
I was on the lake a couple times this year prior to the tourney.  Early in the Spring we struggled during the spawn as we saw quality fish but could only get the smaller males to bite. 
The week before the tourney I was out and did ok.  I didn't get a lot of bites but did catch a couple good ones.  I tried some new area's but nothing real exciting there.  They sprayed the milfoil in some of my usually good areas so that wasn't good.  Right before I left I checked on a decent area and caught two nice ones back to back including one away from my normal area so that was encouraging. I would have to milk that area come tournament day.  I wanted to get out there again closer to the tourney but it just didn't happen. 

Tournament
My partner was another new member of the club Derick, so I was excited to fish with him and have a great day.

Things started off decent enough with Derick catching a decent one off my main area pretty quickly.  That was the only bite we got so we headed off to flip some pads and try a frog.  They weren't interested in the frog and only a pike flipping. 

We headed to a weedline near some reeds where I've done well in the past.  I finally got my first keeper on a swim jig.  Nothing big but it was a start.  This area provided a few keepers but nothing of size.  Then we headed to one of the bays and it was too crowded to fish, so we headed to the other bay and I picked up another small keeper on a senko.  Meanwhile, my partner was catching pike left and right and even a couple walleye.  Too bad it was a bass tournament or he would have been doing awesome.  :-)

For the rest of the day we tried to grind it out.  We checked my best area a few times and there was either boats right on it or we couldn't get anything to bite.  We tried a few areas with nothing happening either.  I managed to fill out my limit but nothing of any size at all.  I knew I wouldn't get many bites based on previous tournaments and practice but was hoping for at least one or two decent sized ones which I did find in practice. 

We continued to grind with not much to show for it.  Another disappointing showing at Medicine. 
But, my family was as the landing waiting for me and it was fathers day so no time to sulk even though I was pretty disappointed.  Makes you realize what's really important in life and that a bad club tourney isn't the end of the world.  But I can't hide from my competitive side so I'll be back with all I've got for Waconia. 

The weigh in was great.  There was a few of the guy's families there which was great to see.  After that I headed back out on the water with my family and had some fun. 


Water temp 73 degrees. 





No comments:

Post a Comment