Monday, November 17, 2014

Lake Minnetonka Renegade Bassers 9/20/14

Practice

I didn't have much time to practice after the state tournament but I did manage to get a few hours in the week prior to the tournament.  I planned on sticking close to Maxwell and just check some spots where I've done well in the past.  I started in north arm and flipped some heavy cover and caught a decent one pretty quick so I left.  I hit another patch of pads where I usually do well so that was a good sign.


Tournament

I was fishing solo  and I started off flipping some pads near Maxwell for a few minutes before I headed back to North Arm to flip some heavy milfoil.  I had a bite pretty quickly on a jig but didn't hook up.  I was working the heavy milfoil out in front of the docks with an occasional cast under the docks as well.  It didn't take long to hook up with a nice 2.5 from right out in front of a dock.  I continued down the shoreline alternating between heavy punch rig, jig, buzzbait, frog, and swim jig.  I got another bite or two but again failed to hook up.  I was pretty set on flipping heavy cover all day but wanted to keep an open mind.  After working the entire stretch with no more action I decided to head elsewhere.

I headed to a hump with some nice weeds where I've done well in the past.  There was a boat on it so I made a few casts on a nearby weedline to see if they'd leave soon.  No dice, so I headed near the bridge to try some docks.  It was too windy for these docks as the wind was picking up and blowing in on them.  I caught two pike with a rat-l-trap and headed back to North Arm.

I decided to head super shallow into a little backwater area and see if anyone was home.  Lots of baitfish activity but nothing but a short on the swim jig.  I went back to plan a and started flipping the heavy cover again.  I was getting bites but nothing over 2 pounds.  Usually flipping has big fish potential but not today.  I had a small limit by this point but needed some upgrades quickly.

I headed back into Maxwell to hit some pads.  The boat traffic was insane.  It was a beautiful fall day and everyone was trying to enjoy it out on the water.  Especially since the entire lake was a no wake for most of the summer because of the high water. I managed to catch a couple more small fish but no significant upgrades.  Time to play dodge boats and head back to weigh in.

I only weighed in 7.39lbs for 10th place.  It was disappointing but I was actually kind of relieved this that the tournament season was over.  Don't get me wrong I love to fish but this year seemed to be a grind.  There were definitely a couple bright spots but fairly mediocre as far as I'm concerned.  I am looking forward to the Viking Invitational which is pretty much just for fun and a chance to help out another bass club and a food shelf.



Overall today I just didn't have my head in the game.  Even though there was no pressure since I was out of the running for angler of the year, for some reason I was off.  When my primary area didn't produce, I didn't have a game plan in place to make the needed adjustments.  Then as the day wore on I actually got kind of frustrated.  I should know this lake better by now.  One more chance to figure it out over the next couple weeks before the Viking Invitational.

Weather

Results

No comments:

Post a Comment